Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Switching the INFLUENCE and PLAN Elements

I've promised some of you that I would deliver an article summarizing the Elements, and I will. I just have to do some things first. One of those things is making sure we're all on the same page as we go forward.

INFLUENCE as a  Power

In conversations, it's become evident that: 
  1. INFLUENCEs should be able to affect Powers, meaning that they need to be able to be put inside them. Since I plan to model duration as an INFLUENCE on a Power, this needs to be possible.
  2. As it stands, Frames can't be put inside Powers, so that means that unless something changes I can't have independent durations without creating new and specialized Elements- something I'm trying very hard not to do..
  3. I could make an exception and allow INFLUENCE to exist inside Powers, but the trouble with that tactic is that it;'s a slippery slope.
  4. INFLUENCE just seems like it should be a Power. Doing so allows for things like superpowers that change the environment, or FOCUSes that change someone's mind without convoluted Expressions. Those things were already possible, but they were harder. 
So I'm going to try using INFLUENCE as a Power. All of that means that one Power element needs to become a Frame to make room for it.

PLAN as a Frame

PLAN seems like the natural choice to become a Frame..

  1. It's a container for a potential Effect.
  2. It needs a special set of rules for handling its format (I haven't explained that part until now, but trust me). 
  3. Having a Rank makes sense on one level, as an indication of  how many points worth of Effects the Plan can hold, or perhaps how much interference the PLAN can suffer before failing.

So it seems like it's a good switch. I'm going to try it out going forward. If it doesn't work out, I'll address the issue.

I'm not sure how this will affect the Kabbalistic Tables I have, but I'll be sure to post the results at some point. I haven't plugged them in yet because they won't be able to do a straight swap. The switch might have huge ripple effects.

Ultimately, though, it's a minor switch game-wise.





No comments:

Post a Comment