Friday, September 20, 2013

I NEED DRIVEs

In looking at the game, I don't like a recent change I've made. Adding NEEDs is a good thing, but dropping DRIVEs takes something away from the game.

For example, in another post I'm working on, the character Katara from Nickelodeon's "Avatar: The Last Airbender" has numerous BONDs describing her emotions towards various other characters in the series. But she also has a strong DRIVE to "Become a Better Waterbender". This DRIVE came into play most prominently when she had the opportunity to procure a sacred waterbending scroll.

This isn't a NEED as defined in the game, and I don't want to redefine NEEDs so that it is. It's not a BOND, because Waterbending isn't a person, place or thing- it's an activity/skill.

It's a DRIVE- a strong desire to do something.

Replacing BONDs with DRIVEs might work because BONDs as written are one-sided. I could redefine all BONDs as DRIVEs, but I think the game might lose something in the process. I've always seen Tribute as being "about" a character's motivations and connections to others as much as whatever abilities they have. Having a BOND Element brings that home in a way that DRIVEs alone might not.

So I'm going to add DRIVEs back in for now, giving a total of 8 Frames, once again adding an extra Element, and once again breaking the Kabbalah correspondences. So be it.

No comments:

Post a Comment